out of the ashes

Saturday, July 2, 2011

To Do, or Not To Do

That is the question.

The ebook arm of the industry is exploding. As traditional houses are downsizing and becoming more and more cautious about signing new authors on, I keep mulling over going indie. It's easy enough to do, and keeping an eye on percent of market gained recently, the temptation is to become my own publisher. The problem is marketing. How do I even get hits at my ebook, let alone downloads?
I contacted two firms this year, inquiring about breadth of services offered, as well as costs. The bottom line is (as it has always been), you get what you pay for, and it ain't cheap. Even going the gold route, there's absolutely no assurance of success in sales.
So how did Amanda Hocking do it? Or a handful of other successful indie authors? When I figure that one out, I'll be off and running!
Something of interest. My favorite online site, Bookrix, is experiencing a similar explosion in growth, albeit an avalanche of ten year-olds, lol. "Read Me!" Still, some excellent writers have signed in recently. But, to the point. Bookrix is launching their arm, expanding into the ebook market this Fall. It's an easy, user-friendly free-to-read book publishing site already, and I trust that their ebook arm will be the same. It's my hunch that they will give Smashwords (not a particularly user-friendly site) and others a run for their money. I want to be on board when Bookrix launches.

Off-subject.
I'm concentrating on short stories. Thanks, JW. Maybe I'll do a collection. Right now I'm working on The Invisible Man. Thanks H.G:) I started it months ago, stopped, and now have decided to totally revise and finish. Carolann gave me some awesome ideas for plot and characters:)

Incredible news...and I'll name no names as per request. Another amazingly talented friend was ecstatic and sent me an email recently. This person has been contacted by the owner of a major house; wants to read a certain book this author wrote. How often do you hear of THAT! I am equally excited for this writer, a close friend. I have many, so don't try to guess who it is:)

That's all, folks!
Off to take my invisible man on his journey again!

No comments:

Post a Comment