out of the ashes

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Heinz 57

I took third :) I was stoked for Glen and Wendy; both close friends and excellent writers!

Here is one judge's comment; he runs a film school, lol. I knew Laverne's lisp in dialogue might be a problem, and if I ever converted the script to spec for submission, I would certainly do what he advised. As it was, in the script (which asked for a score inclusion!) I couldn't see Laverne "Buddy" Budd's character working effectively without inserting "dialect" fully.

Anyway, I was happy they liked it.

"The story was interesting and unique. An intriguing high concept yet it was difficult for me to get into the story because the lisp of the character made it difficult to understand what he was saying and difficult to follow the plot. If you ever tried to send this to a studio you'd want to write the dialogue without a lisp and inform the reader that the actor would be speaking with one."
Interesting that Jim noted in classes that dialect was a sketchy thing to pull off. I understood the danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment