out of the ashes

Friday, February 24, 2012

Ain't life grand!

My cup is half empty. Er...my cup is half full. Today I had to ask, which is it? (lol)?
I had good fortune greet me when I awoke. I was busy studying marketing techniques when my wife came running out to me all excited. "Did you read the announcement at I Love Bookrix Writing Contests yet?"
"No, why?" I hadn't logged in at 6:00 a.m. yet.
"Well, go read it!"
I did, and nearly fell out of my chair. I honestly thought Barnum Lake had about a snowball's chance in hell of placing.

Seems I won 2nd (darned Mary Walz! :) :) :) in the Write Whatever You Want Contest. So I am to receive a prize:)
A bit later the mechanic who was doing a diagnostic check on my wife's car called to inform me the computer was toast...$650.00. This month it might as well have been $6.50!

So I gets all depressed. Goodbye prize money, and then some.

But there it is. Had God not smiled down on my entry (and those independent judges), where would I be right now? Suicidal? Well, prob'ly not, but you get the picture.
If I just put one foot in front of the other, like I did yesterday and the day before...and the day before, the cup never empties somehow.

And gosh darn it, thanks, Scott. You reviewed my story with eagle eyes! You saw exactly what it was and where it came from.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sorry about the car, though. Yin and Yang of life.

    Where can we read the story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine:) Certainly at www.bookrix.com. Search "Barnum Lake" in the books category there, or search felixthecat in the user category. That will take you to my profile page, and there all my works are listed. Or, you can email me and I'll upload the word doc...but at Bookrix, I love the cover I put on it:)

      Delete