out of the ashes

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Marvin :)

My first love, lol.


Mary asked me this morning why in my pre-publication announcement at Facebook concerning The Redemption of Marvin Fuster I split the book in two.
The Redemption of Marvin Fuster-Book One, subtitled “The Important Thing Is…Marvin” and The Redemption of Marvin Fuster-Book Two, subtitled “…To Love Rather Than Be Loved. Delilah.”

I had two reasons for doing this. The first was a natural outgrowth of my total revision of the plot last summer (thanks, Trish). I broke the manuscript up into two sections at that time, as noted above. The first concerned the introduction of the two sets of characters; Marvin, Amy, Maribeth, John…the four "elements", if you will, that converge at the climax. Essentially, though, the entire book is Marvin’s metamorphosis. Marvin's zany character. Marvin's delightfully insane quest and the troubles he causes alongside Maribeth in his attempt to succeed for love of Amy, a woman he has never really met. I got him to the point in Book One at which he is nearly ready to apply his brilliant theory…finalize his calculations and mix the brew (but first he must meet the greatest roadblock to date and hurdle it). At that point the strange mix will either kill him or accomplish the first portion of his quest; to reverse his age. He must meet Amy, though. Must. She has to have her own story, however, which because she knows nothing of him or his quest must have meat of its own, and that is where Delilah comes in.
So there are two plots that run simultaneously. Maribeth knows attorney John Delilah (and adores the tongue-tied, homely man). Amy works for him. Marvin will finally meet John, although John’s love for and relationship to Amy is hidden by circumstance from Marvin. Actually, no one in the book realizes that John’s Amy is also Marvin’s Amy...except Anselm and his team. We won't go there in this discussion, however. :) :)
So splitting the book in two is really a plot device, and it works.

The second reason for splitting the print edition is economics. Publishing a single 350-400 page book through Createspace would have brought their minimum charge to over $10.00/unit. At that cost I would have been forced to price it at $15.00-$16.00 in order to receive a decent royalty. I’m then competing with James Patterson, Stephen King, et. al.

Patrick Sean Lee is “unknown” in the world of novel writing, except for those several hundred who have gone in to buy Dear Diary and Checkmate at Amazon (thank you!). If Book One does well, then those buyers who I captured with Marvin will go back and pay the additional money to see the end of his quest…which I will hint is quite unexpected.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know. Splitting up a story like this could be risky. Hard to say from what I've read here. I wish you success with your book(s).
    And if you are interested in increasing your blog presence then check out the links in my signature.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge
    Blogging from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Arlee. I can certainly use all the information I can collect. I'll check both links immediately!

      Delete