out of the ashes

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

20,000 Words In

Closer To Heaven is coming along fine. Here is an excerpt from 6.

Amelia has slept in a dumpster, having seen Munster and a man running...Going into the chapter the reader doesn't know she is dreaming, but the land and its inhabitants are "unbelievable" given where she is in time and space. And suddenly she awakens.


In my dream there was a lion and a bear and a horse down by the stream, and that didn’t make sense. A lion would have jumped on the horse and eaten him, and then he would have found the bear eating berries and eaten the bear. But he just drank the water instead and didn’t kill the horse or the bear. That is not real, I knew.
My momma didn’t see me or feel my arms around her, and that made no sense either  because Momma always saw me and knew me and loved me. And Daddy wasn’t in the dream. If Momma was really sitting by a stream, then Daddy would have been close by because there was no garage in the house on the other side of the road. And I missed them, but they were gone, and I didn’t miss them as much as I had the day before, or the day before that, because hoping they would come back really made no sense. It was kind of like missing Grandpa who’d died when I was a little girl. I missed him very much at first, and I cried and wished he hadn’t died, or that he could come back, but he didn’t, and as I got older and smarter I didn’t miss him like I used to. And someday I wouldn’t miss Momma and Daddy so much because Father Kenney and even Momma and Daddy said many times that dead people are alive in Heaven, and they are always watching us, and they live with their friends and their own mommas and daddies, and they aren’t unhappy at all. And they live with Jesus and God his father and the Holy Ghost, and they love them and ask them to help us. I could never understand who the Holy Ghost was, though. He was God, but he was also a bird, and he never said anything to anyone.
I didn’t understand being dead, or Heaven, or especially God who was three gods, but only one god, and that made no sense because I had never met three people who were one person, and so I couldn’t understand it, but I believed it.
I left the ladies room and ran down the hall to the back door. I picked up my black backpack and ran down the alley because I needed to get the bags and tubes and needles back to Jerrick so that we could feed and get water into Lashawna. That is all that really mattered. If I saw Munster or the man or a cloud or a hundred clouds, I didn’t care. I needed to get back to Saint Andrew’s Church.
I forgot about the dream.
Patrick Sean Lee (c)-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment